There is a shared misconception among many Charleston and West Ashley homeowners that just hiring a mosquito control company is enough to keep mosquitoes at bay. Yes, adding the expertise of a mosquito control professional, like Mosquito Squad of Greater Charleston, is a wise decision in protecting your outdoor areas from the nuisance and dangers of mosquitoes. Keep in mind, however, that successful mosquito control also relies on common sense practices on the part of the homeowner. This means gaining a clear understanding of identifying and reducing potential mosquito breeding sites in and around your property.
You may be familiar with Mosquito Squad’s 7 T’s of mosquito control. These stand for TIP, TOSS, TURN, REMOVE TARPS, TAKE CARE, TEAM UP and TREAT. These are great guidelines for eradicating moisture and standing water on your property that may become sites for mosquitoes to breed, which if left at bay, could influence the effectiveness of your treatments.
- Tip — Tip over items in your yard to reduce standing water and help eliminate mosquito breeding areas. Such as sandboxes, toys, garden implements and wheelbarrows. Also, undersides and saucers on planters and dog bowls. Other hotspots include gutters and flat roofs.
- Toss — Remove and discard excess grass, leaves, firewood and clippings from yard as these areas stay moist and are ripe for mosquito breeding.
- Turn — Turn over large yard items that could hold water like children’s sandboxes, kiddie pools or plastic toys when not in use.
- Remove Tarps — If tarps stretched over firewood piles, boats, or sports equipment aren’t taught, they’re holding water. This also includes any covers used for outdoor furniture or grills/smokers. Make sure to emove them or keep them pulled tight.
- Take Care — Take care of home and lawn maintenance needs that can contribute to standing water, including cleaning out gutters and making sure downspouts are attached properly, keeping your grass mowed and beds pruned, and check irrigation systems for leaks.
- Team Up — Despite taking all precautions in your own home, the condition of neighboring properties can influence how many mosquitoes are taking refuge in your yard, and affect your control and prevention efforts. Talking with neighbors is a key component to the success of your mosquito, and tick control efforts. Townhomes and homes with little space between lots mean that mosquitoes can breed at a neighbor’s home, and affect your property. Communication and caring is key!
- Treat — Utilize Mosquito Squad of Greater Charleston’s mosquito control and protection program the home and yard. Using our barrier treatment reduces the need for spraying DEET-laden bug spray on your children. We can eliminate up to 85-90% of the mosquitoes on your property.
Mosquito larvae in standing water
We achieve 85-90% reduction on the first barrier treatment. Our formula immediately eradicates existing mosquitoes on contact, so realistically, the reduction is almost immediate. Continuing our mosquito control program will ensure residual protection for the entire time you are on the service. During your first treatment, our technicians carefully inspect your Charleston or West Ashley property and eliminate or treat standing water, a potential mosquito breeding site, with a larvacide. This stops the life cycle of the mosquito at the larvae stage, so they cannot become adults. Then our technicians will treat to eliminate any adult mosquitoes currently on your property. This treatment will also build a barrier against any mosquitoes that enter your yard after treatment from other areas.
As part of service rotation, our technicians will return to your property approximately every 21 days to inspect and maintain this barrier, but it is crucial for you to conduct regular inspections on your property to eliminate any areas of standing water in order to maintain a mosquito-free property for the life of the treatment.
Mosquito Squad of Greater Charleston strives to provide extraordinary service in every aspect of our client relationships, from the first time we answer your phone call to helping to educate and inform as we continue treating your property with the utmost respect and care.
We offer the perfect solution for your mosquito control needs. Along with our traditional barrier treatment, we also offer essential oil-based mosquito control, mosquito control for special events and convenient mosquito misting systems. Call us today at (843) 574-8919 today or email us.
Owner Brent Tatum and family